What do you believe in?
What are your real beliefs?
I’m asking you these questions so you can have a clearer picture as to why sales are made or lost.
“Jeffrey, you don’t understand,” you whine. “Our customers are price buyers!” No Jackson, YOU don’t understand. You BELIEVE they’re price buyers, and until you change your belief, they will continue to be that way.
SIMPLE RULE: Change your beliefs and you can change your outcomes.
SIMPLER RULE: Your beliefs control your sales performance.
SIMPLEST RULE: You can strengthen your beliefs with clear thoughts and deep commitment.
THINK ABOUT THIS: As you’re preparing for a sale, your belief system is so powerful it will dominate your desire to get ready to win. Those beliefs have been present either consciously or subconsciously for as long as you have been employed by your present company – and they deepen with every sales call you make, every sale you achieve, and every sale you lose.
You may look at belief as “faith.” A common belief is, “I’ve lost faith in my company’s ability to deliver as promised.” Others are loss of faith in product, boss, ethics of company, or even the economy.
But your belief and your belief system are the root of your sales success, or the bane of your failure.
There are five elements to belief, and in order to be a great salesperson you must be the master believer of all five. There’s also a .5 that enables you to change or strengthen your beliefs…
1. You have to believe you work for the greatest company in the world.
2. You have to believe your products and services are the greatest in the world.
3. You have to believe in yourself.
(NOTE: STOP here if the above three beliefs – company, products and services, and self – are not present and deep. The next two will be impossible to comprehend, let alone master…)
4. You have to believe in your ability to differentiate from your competition in a way that the customer PERCEIVES as BOTH different AND valuable. If the customer fails to perceive a difference between you and your competition, if they fail to perceive your value, then all that’s left is price.
5. BIGGEST ASPECT OF BELIEF: You must believe that the customer is BETTER OFF having purchased from you. Not just believing this in your head – rather, believing it in your heart.
5.5 You control your belief with your thoughts and your attitude. And this understanding is critical to building and maintaining a positive belief for all you say and do. Once this belief begins to falter, it’s time to go. Time to move on to something you believe in.
These 5.5 fundamental beliefs will drive your preparation, and thereby your presentation, to new heights, new sales, and new success.
Take a moment and rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 (10 being best) for each of the 5.5 elements above. If your total is less than 40, you’re losing sales due to lack of belief.
BEWARE: There are negative beliefs that will also limit your success, even if you possess the critical five.
• Belief your prices are too high.
• Belief your competition has a lock on the business you’re trying to get.
• Belief that the sale is a bidding process and you’ll lose without the lowest bid.
• Belief that the sale you’re in the middle of won’t happen.
…And about 20 more beliefs that are completely alterable.
GREAT NEWS: The deeper you possess the big five beliefs, the bigger and faster your sales cycle will end – with an order.
KEY POINT OF UNDERSTANDING: Belief does not come in a day – it comes day-by-day, slowly over time. But once achieved at its highest level, it’s virtually impenetrable – and it will put passion in your preparation, not to mention, money in your pocket.
Do you believe? I hope you do. Your success depends on it.
Jeffrey Gitomer is the author of The Sales Bible, Customer Satisfaction is Worthless Customer Loyalty is Priceless, The Little Red Book of Selling, The Little Red Book of Sales Answers, The Little Black Book of Connections, The Little Gold Book of YES! Attitude, The Little Green Book of Getting Your Way, The Little Platinum Book of Cha-Ching, The Little Teal Book of Trust, The Little Book of Leadership, and Social BOOM! His website, www.gitomer.com, will lead you to more information about training and seminars, or email him personally at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2012 All Rights Reserved. Don’t even think about reproducing this document
without written permission from Jeffrey H. Gitomer and Buy Gitomer. 704/333-1112