Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Courtesy photo
Courtesy photo
The new owners of a historic Douglaston house say they only plan to demolish two illegal structures in the rear yard, including this separate smaller residence.

The newlywed owners of a historic Douglaston house say they have no plans to harm the 19th century remnant after neighbors rallied outside their home last week, The Courier has learned.

Property owner Xiu Jun Zhai and his wife received a partial job permit by the city’s Department of Buildings (DOB) on March 4 to change the number of stories in their 38-60 Douglaston Parkway house, according to an application.

The proposal angered neighboring residents, who said construction would destroy the character of the community and ruin a relic.

Plans were not specific but called for “vertical and horizontal enlargement” of the 1,800-square-foot structure and partial demolition that “affects the exterior building envelope,” the application said.

The house dates back to the 1860s, according to preservationists. It is located within the proposed Douglaston Historic District Extension, which was calendared for landmark designation in 2008.

But the couple, who tied the knot last April and purchased the home in September, said they only plan on demolishing two structures in the backyard that were built without permits after 1952. They include a wood deck with a roof and a separate smaller residence to the rear left of the house.

According to a close friend to the property owners, Zhai does not plan on altering the exterior of the main house on the 9,000-square-feet of land.

“The owner is not taking down the house,” the source said. “They want to start family there.”

The DOB did not confirm the plans in time for press.

Zhai bought the property for $660,000, according to State Senator Tony Avella. The building has been vacant for five years.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Comments:

Join The Discussion



Related Stories
Four massage parlors in Flushing were slapped with vacant orders for illegal operation
Four massage parlors in Flushing were slapped with vacant orders for illegal operation
Another one! Abandoned ‘zombie’ properties plague Flushing
Another one! Abandoned ‘zombie’ properties plague Flushing
Popular Stories
Photo via Google Maps
Cantonese restaurant King Yum in Fresh Meadows is closing for good
Photo: Suzanne Monteverdi/QNS
Son allegedly slashed mother, then himself at Bayside assisted living facility, police say
Photo by Robert Stridiron/Inset courtesy of NYPD
Woodhaven home invader roughed up woman and locked her in a closet, cops said
Skip to toolbar