Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Photo by Robert Stridiron
Photo by Robert Stridiron
Fire officials determined that cooking was the cause of a fire that killed famed office chair designer Charles Pollock at his Jamaica residence on Tuesday, August 20.

The Jamaica blaze that took the life of a famous furniture designer was caused by cooking, according to the FDNY.

Charles Pollock, 83, who created one of the best-selling office chairs in history, the Pollock Executive Chair, died Tuesday morning when his 157th Street home caught fire.

According to the fire department, “several New York City fire-related deaths so far in August were caused by senior citizen cooking accidents.”

The FDNY offers the following tips on preventing kitchen accidents and cooking fires:

Kitchen accidents can be caused by:

  • Distracted cooks, including leaving the kitchen to answer the door, take a phone call or view something on television.
  • Wearing loose clothing that can catch fire when leaning over a stovetop.
  • Flammable items placed near the stove, such as towels, papers or pot holders.
  • Pan/pot handles turned outward, which are accidently bumped and overturn.
  • Cooking at temperatures higher than what is required.
  • Uncleaned cooking equipment that accumulates grease or food items.

How to prevent cooking fires:

  • Use a pot’s lid or baking soda to smother a pan/pot fire. (Do not attempt to pick up the pan/pot if there is fire.)
  • Do not use water to fight a kitchen fire, as it can splash and spread the flames.
  • Make sure your home has working smoke alarms.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Comments:

Join The Discussion



Related Stories
Armed robber holds up six cellphone stores across Queens and Brooklyn, cops say
Armed robber holds up six cellphone stores across Queens and Brooklyn, cops say
Queens-based Instagrammer teams up with Queens Lyceum to show ‘green’ borough
Queens-based Instagrammer teams up with Queens Lyceum to show ‘green’ borough
Popular Stories
Photo via Google Maps
Cantonese restaurant King Yum in Fresh Meadows is closing for good
Photo: Suzanne Monteverdi/QNS
Son allegedly slashed mother, then himself at Bayside assisted living facility, police say
Photo by Robert Stridiron/Inset courtesy of NYPD
Woodhaven home invader roughed up woman and locked her in a closet, cops said
Skip to toolbar