Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
File photo
File photo
Once again, Queens straphangers will be disrupted by numerous No. 7 train weekend suspensions.

After local elected officials and community leaders met with the MTA Thursday, the agency plans on making no changes to the No. 7 train suspension, but is looking to reach out to the community.

State Senator Michael Gianaris and Councilmember Jimmy Van Bramer were among those who spoke with MTA officials during the closed preliminary meeting to discuss the upcoming shutdowns to the subway line. 

Between Feb. 28 and July 21, there will be 13 weekend suspensions. Those dates are finalized but the agency also plans on holding nine tentative weekend shutdowns for August through November.

Thursday’s meeting was not opened to the public but some members of the Long Island City community stood outdoors in order to show their concerns.

The MTA offered to continue the conversation with the community by coming out and holding a meeting to explain the details for the suspensions, according to Gianaris. The date of that meeting is yet to be determined.

“It’s better that they are listening to our input. But it’s only valuable if it leads to change,” Gianaris said. “We hope that the MTA will not just listen to our concern but actually do something about it. Today was the beginning of a process to test if they’re willing to do that.”

Although the MTA expressed the willingness to reach out to the community, the senator said the agency did not agree on bigger issues such as those related to improving the service or providing more substitutes.

For example, one substitute that was shot down by the agency was Gianaris’ suggestion to offer a shuttle bus from Vernon Boulevard through the Queens Midtown Tunnel into the city.  

“The limited good news is that they are engaging in a dialogue with the community on what is needed,” Gianaris said. “The not-so-great news is when we expressed what the community needs, we didn’t get that far. But the dialogue will continue.”

The MTA previously said the latest round of work is expected to modernize, improve and fortify the Flushing No. 7 line. The work will also include tunnel duct reconstruction and replacement and improvements on components damaged during Superstorm Sandy.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

Comments:

Join The Discussion



Related Stories
Artists gather at MoMA PS1 for Cultural Town Hall
Artists gather at MoMA PS1 for Cultural Town Hall
LIC Industrial Business Zone receives more than $100K in funding
LIC Industrial Business Zone receives more than $100K in funding
Popular Stories
Photo via Google Maps/Inset courtesy of NYPD
UPDATE: Cops catch alleged burglar who stole a fortune from a popular Bayside cafe
Photo via Google Maps
Cantonese restaurant King Yum in Fresh Meadows is closing for good
Photo by Robert Stridiron
Cops continue searching for bandit who stole a fortune from a Flushing pharmacy
Skip to toolbar