Anyone who has handled live or raw fish or other seafood purchased at Chinatown markets in Queens, Brooklyn or Manhattan could be affected, the Health Department said Wednesday.
The infection is transferred through a break in the skin, such as a cut, and is caused by a bacteria called Mycobacterium marinum.
People are strongly advised to wear waterproof gloves when handling any raw seafood that may have come from these markets.
There is no risk from consuming food from the markets, according to the Health Department.
So far, 30 cases of the infection have been identified.
Symptoms include red, tender lumps or swelling under the skin of the hands or arms. People may additionally develop swelling or pain in their hands or arms and have trouble moving their fingers.
If you exhibit any symptoms or believe you may have been infected, see an infectious disease physician or dermatologist. You can also call the Health Department’s Bureau of Communicable Disease at 347-396-2600 and ask to speak with a doctor.
Treatment includes antibiotics and should begin right away.
When left untreated it can become a more serious infection that requires surgery.