Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
THE COURIER/Graphic Image
THE COURIER/Graphic Image

Updated Monday, Feb. 16, 10:31 a.m.

Firefighters and a neighbor rushed to help the residents of a St. Albans home after a fire broke out in the two-story house early Saturday morning, published reports said.

A space heater ignited the blaze in the basement of the residence on 119th Road near 178th Street about 5:40 a.m., according to the FDNY. There were no working smoke detectors in the home.

Next-door neighbor Lawrence Leone saw the smoke streaming out of the house and, along with his brother, grabbed a ladder to try and rescue the people still inside, reports said.

The smoke had consumed the first floor and the only way the residents could escape was through the second story, Leone told CBS New York.

“I grabbed the ladder so I could put it by the roof so they could be able to climb down,” he said.

One person jumped to safety, another was able to get down on his own, and a third was too scared to use the ladder and had to be rescued by firefighters, according to published reports.

The residents were taken to Nassau University Medical Center in stable condition.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

Comments:

Join The Discussion



Related Stories
UPDATE: Cops still looking for the drive-by shooters who killed rapper Chinx in Briarwood
UPDATE: Cops still looking for the drive-by shooters who killed rapper Chinx in Briarwood
Queens International Night Market to move to Jamaica starting in September
Queens International Night Market to move to Jamaica starting in September
Popular Stories
Photos by Suzanne Monteverdi/QNS
PHOTOS: 'The Crown Room' is the newest hot spot on Bayside's Bell Boulevard
Photo via Shutterstock
South Queens woman used a cleaver to hack her aunt to death in their home: DA
Photo via Shutterstock
Cops investigate deadly shooting of a man near the Ridgewood/Bushwick border


Skip to toolbar
Web Analytics