Updated 5:12 p.m.
A 49-year-old man was arrested Tuesday morning following a bomb scare at a Kew Gardens office building, authorities said.
Law enforcement sources identified him as Scott Sansonkin, a former resident of Woodhaven Boulevard in Glendale, who was taken into custody without further incident and found not to have a bomb in his possession. Reportedly, he was taken to a local hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.
The scare reportedly occurred at about 11 a.m. at 80-02 Kew Gardens Rd. near Union Turnpike, a 12-story office building that includes the Queens District Attorney’s Detective Squad, an FBI satellite office and the Kew Gardens Community Center.
According to police, Sansonkin walked into the lobby carrying a bag and allegedly announced he had a bomb. During a subsequent investigation, police reportedly determined the bag contained an inert device made to resemble an explosive.
Officers from the 102nd Precinct, the NYPD Bomb Squad and other NYPD units responded to the location, and all individuals inside the building were safely evacuated. District Attorney Richard Brown was not at the location at the time of the bomb scare.
Sources familiar with the investigation said Sansonkin previously pulled a bomb scare at the same location in November 2008; he was subsequently prosecuted on federal charges and served a prison sentence.
Sansonkin was charged Tuesday with falsely reporting an incident, possessing a false bomb or hazardous substance and second-degree harassment. Other charges are pending the results of an investigation.
- Police release video of Richmond Hill hit-and-run
- Truck driver charged in fatal Elmhurst hit-and-run
- Suspect identified in deadly December stabbing of Jackson Heights man