St. Anastasia Church in Douglaston honored the church’s centennial anniversary earlier this month with a Centennial Closing Mass and historically themed festival.
The festival included antique cars, volunteers dressed in the fashion of clothes circa the 1900s, food, face painting, a cotton candy machine, a hot dog cart, jugglers, clowns, popcorn-making machines and balloon sculptures.
The church has also been hosting other events throughout the year leading up to the final centennial celebration, such a special Mass on Sept. 13 featuring past clergy.
St. Anastasia was established in 1915 during a significant increase in the population of the Douglaston and Little Neck area which included many Catholics, according to the church’s website. At the time of the founding, the house of worship only only had 100 parishioners.