Hearing loss can affect people of any age, but it is rarely sudden or total, unless you’re exposed to an extremely loud noise. The change is often gradual, so much so that even close family members may not notice the problem before you do. So it is important that you recognize the signs of hearing loss when they start to happen. Fortunately, you don’t have to be an expert to determine whether you or someone you know may be suffering from hearing loss. Just answer or have them answer the following questions:
- Have you turned the TV volume up so high that people are complaining?
- During a phone conversation, do you have trouble hearing the other person speaking?
- Does background noise make it difficult for you to hear?
- Is it difficult to follow a conversation when two or more people are speaking at once?
- Does it seem like a lot of people do not speak clearly or that they mumble?
- Do you have to strain to understand a conversation?
- Are you often asking people to repeat themselves?
- Do you find yourself responding to what people are saying inappropriately because you’ve misunderstood them?
- Is it particularly hard to understand women and children?
- Do people get annoyed because you misunderstand what they say?
If you answer “YES” to three or more of these questions, you may be suffering from hearing loss and should schedule a visit to get your hearing professionally tested.
GB Audiology, PLLC helps people improve the quality of their lives through better hearing. Their experts diagnose hearing problems and patiently and thoroughly explain their findings and recommendations to you and your family. GB Audiology tests and treats adults and children, and offers additional services, including hearing protection, assistive listening devices and swim molds. They serves all of the surrounding neighborhoods including Great Neck, Little Neck, Bayside, Douglaston, New Hyde Park, Floral Park, Glen Oaks, Whitestone, Roslyn and Manhasset.