Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Photo via Wikimedia Commons
Photo via Wikimedia Commons

Updated 5:23 p.m.

With the help of a tipster, police brought a Connecticut man back to Queens on Tuesday to face charges in connection with a Kew Gardens road rage killing that occurred more than four years ago.

Detectives picked up Gjergj (George) Logu-Cupi, 52, at his Shelton, Connecticut, home earlier this month after the NYPD Queens Homicide Squad received information from an anonymous whistleblower regarding his whereabouts. Logu-Cupi was the suspect behind the fatal shooting of Roberto Adanes, 25, at 8:10 p.m. on July 14, 2011, a few steps from the victim’s Austin Street residence.

According to authorities, Adanes and his 30-year-old brother became involved in a verbal dispute with the suspect over a double-parked car in the vicinity of Austin and 125th streets.

Prosecutors said Logu-Cupi left the scene, then returned moments later and opened fire on both men; Adanes was struck in the torso, while his brother took a bullet to his head. Reportedly, the suspect was observed fleeing the scene inside a white van with Connecticut license plates.

Officers from the 102nd Precinct and EMS units responded to the incident. Adanes died at Jamaica Hospital; the 30-year-old shooting victim was treated for his injuries, but still has the bullet lodged in his skull, according to Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown.

Soon after being extradited to Queens, sources familiar with the investigation said, Logu-Cupi was identified through a photo lineup as the suspect in the deadly shooting. He was subsequently charged with second-degree murder and was ordered held without bail. Logu-Cupi is scheduled to return to court on Jan. 12, 2016, and faces a maximum of 50 years to life behind bars if convicted.

“This was a senseless shooting following a traffic dispute,” Brown said in a statement issued Wednesday afternoon. “A young man was killed and his older brother seriously wounded. Gun violence has no place in a civilized society and must end now.”


Join The Discussion

Related Stories
Connecticut man arrested for threatening Mets
Connecticut man arrested for threatening Mets
Op-Ed: Essential steps in the fight against gun violence
Op-Ed: Essential steps in the fight against gun violence
Popular Stories
Photos courtesy of Anthony LoSardo
Bayside resident officially launches long-awaited neighborhood brewery
Photo via Google Maps
Mayor's Rikers Island plan will re-open jail at the Kew Gardens Queens Detention Center
Photo via Pixabay
Queens Congress members meet with the Postal Service to discuss the city's mail crisis

Skip to toolbar