Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Photo courtesy of Francis Lewis High School
The editors of an award-winning math magazine at Francis Lewis High School.

It all adds up to gold for the staff of the Francis Lewis High School math magazine.

The publication and its producers received a gold medal from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, a Columbia University group that recognizes student newspapers, magazines, yearbooks and online media.

The judges in the competition were impressed with the level of work in the magazine.

“The quality of the research articles is amazing for being produced by high school students,” judges said in a statement.

The magazine’s award-winning team includes editors-in-chief Chandani Ramkishun and Neha Rattu, associate editors Lucia Li, Ashley Chan, Cheyenne Sarreal, Angela Zhou, Caslon Yoon, Tommy Ng, Daniella Shimunov and adviser Deanna Abramowitz.

Although winning the national competition is an honor for the high school math team, they are already well known for their skills, having won the award before as well as multiple other recognitions.

Francis Lewis Principal David Marmor said the school was extremely proud of the research put into the magazine, some of which can take years of dedication.

“It’s their way of showcasing the projects they’re working on and to prove to the community what kids are capable of when you give them the resources and freedom to do work independently,” Marmor said.

Abramowitz could not be immediately reached.

Comments:

Join The Discussion