Jackson Heights residents will be treated to a diverse array of music as part of the Summer Sundays in the Park music series that begins on July 3.
Now in its 12th year, the series was started by the Jackson Heights Beautification Group to bring emerging and established talent to Travers Park. The concert series will take place on 78th Street between 34th Avenue and Northern Boulevard. All concerts will begin at 4 p.m. and the series will end on August 28th.
“The Summer Concert series offers a platform for artists to showcase their musical roots in a very unique space,” concert organizer Ed Westley said in a statement. “We have hosted local artists who bring sounds from all over the world.”
An eclectic mix of music styles and dance will be introduced to the community including Colombian music from The Issa Cabrea Quartet, Mexican folk dance from the Capulli Dance Company and African-American folk music from Piedmont Bluz.
Children will also enjoy a Puss in Boots puppet show from Theater for a New York City, a company providing free operetta-for-the-streets to communities since the 1970s.
This is the full list of performances:
- July 3: Jackson Heights Orchestra (Goes Pop)
- July 10: Piedmont Bluz (Preserving the Piedmont Sound)
- July 17: The Issa Cabrea Quartet (Sounds of Columbia)
- July 24: Capulli Dance Company (Mexican Folk Dances)
- July 31: Thana Alexa Project (Jazz)
- August 7: Kim Clark Trio with Anastasia Rane (Jazz/R&B)
- August 14: Wishing On Stars (Contemporary) and Bethany Wild (American Songbook)
- August 21: The Beats (Rock from the 1950s to Present)
- August 28: 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m., Mobile Puppet Show (Puss and Boots), Theater for New York City