Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Photo via Shutterstock
Photo via Shutterstock

Police finally slapped the cuffs this week on a suspected burglar from Maspeth accused of breaking into and ransacking homes around the borough in two months’ time, prosecutors announced on Friday afternoon.

Juan Cuervo, 53, of 56th Avenue faced a judge Thursday night, Dec. 8, for arraignment on an array of charges including second-degree burglary, second-degree attempted burglary, third- and fourth-degree grand larceny, petit larceny, criminal mischief and possession of burglar’s tools.

According to Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown, Cuervo allegedly struck nine homes throughout several Queens neighborhoods between Sept. 15 and Nov. 11 of this year, ransacking apartments and removing assorted property in the process.

Police were able to track Cuervo down on Wednesday afternoon, Dec. 7, when he was spotted attempting to enter a home on 80th Street in Elmhurst. According to the charges, he rang the bell near the front door, then left and entered a vehicle nearby.

Cuervo was allegedly observed driving the car around to the rear of the location, where he exited and was heard slamming his shoulder into the rear door.

Law enforcement sources said Cuervo was allegedly spotted moments later leaving the location while toting a messenger bag that he would place inside his vehicle. Cops apprehended him just as Cuervo entered the car.

“While the defendant will be held accountable for his alleged actions, residents should take adequate precautions by inspecting their premises to ensure their residences and other belongings are secure,” Brown said in a statement.

Cuervo is now locked up on $500,000 bail and must return to court on Dec. 22; he faces up to 15 years behind bars if convicted.

Comments:

Join The Discussion



Related Stories
Maspeth crook faces nine years in jail for breaking into nine Queens homes last year
Maspeth crook faces nine years in jail for breaking into nine Queens homes last year
Popular Stories
Photos by Robert Stridiron/RHS NEWS
UPDATE: Cops identify the three victims in a violent bus crash at a Flushing intersection
Photo courtesy of the Nassau Council Police Department
Whitestone teen arrested after being linked to major LI & Queens drug bust: police
Photos by Suzanne Monteverdi/QNS
Tempers flare at rally over the city's plan to build Bayside and Douglaston bike lanes


Skip to toolbar