Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Photo via Shutterstock
Photo via Shutterstock

A Rego Park man will be spending the next two decades behind bars for stabbing a member of a Flushing mosque and vandalizing the house of worship four years ago.

Bernhard Laufer, 59, of 65th Road was convicted last month of second-degree attempted murder, first-degree attempted assault and second-degree assault, all of which were classified as hate crimes. Queens Supreme Court Justice Barry Schwartz ordered Laufer on Wednesday, Dec. 14, to serve 20 years in prison and five years’ probation.

“[Laufer] waged a war of terror against this mosque,” Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said in a statement on Wednesday. “Before this vicious attack, he repeatedly called the mosque and threaten to kill all Muslims. … A jury found him guilty and a judge has now sentenced the defendant to a lengthy term behind bars.”

Brown said Laufer orchestrated his hate-filled rampage at the Masjid Al-Saaliheen Mosque on Kissena Boulevard between Nov. 16 and Nov. 18, 2012. On the first day, he smashed a door and broke a door handle with a rock. He also left threatening messages on the mosque’s voicemail system.

Prosecutors said Laufer returned to the mosque early on the morning of Nov. 18, as he followed a 57-year-old man to the front door at about 4:50 a.m. that morning. As the victim unlocked the door, according to trial testimony, Laufer stabbed him in the head, then bit him in the nose before stabbing him again in the back, leg and thumb.

Officers from the 107th Precinct and EMS units responded to the incident. The victim was treated at a local hospital for his injuries.

Members of the NYPD Hate Crimes Task Force traced the threatening phone calls back to Laufer’s home phone. They were also able to link Laufer to the stabbing through DNA testing, as his genetic profile matched DNA found on a pair of eyeglasses that he apparently dropped at the scene during the attack.

Laufer was previously convicted in March 2015 on federal charges for sending hate-filled emails to an employee at the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).

Comments:

Join The Discussion



Related Stories
Man stabbed outside Queens mosque in possible hate crime
Man stabbed outside Queens mosque in possible hate crime
Popular Stories
Photo via Twitter/@NYPD111Pct
Police tow 13 illegally parked cars outside of Bayside car dealership in overnight sting
Photo via Pxhere
Middle Village man kept friend tied to his bed and drugged him for two weeks: cops
Photo by Anthony Giudice/QNS
Crowley concedes, and Holden wins, the tightest Queens City Council race in many years


Skip to toolbar