It’s the healthiest event of the year.
Queens Library will host Family Festival: Meet the Veggies! at its central branch’s Discover Center at 89-11 Merrick Blvd. in Jamaica on Saturday, Jan. 21, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Participants will create veggie art, plant seeds, sort and count veggies, hear veggie tales, and explore veggie science.
Hands-on science educators from the nonprofit GrowingGreat will run the program, which will include workshops and five activity stations with the following themes:
- Veggie Prints, where youngsters can use vegetables as stamps to make artwork:
- Storytelling, a nook full of books;
- Planting Corner, where children will receive seeds, pots, and soil to plant greens to take home;
- Bakes Goods, where children will make Garden Lites muffins and learn first-hand how vegetables are delicious in baked foods; and
- Counting Graph in the lobby. Visitors will add a sticker of their favorite vegetables to the graph, collecting data to find out which one everyone likes best.
Each youngster will be able to bring a “Veggie Menu” to be stamped at each station. Those who collect all five stamps will get a lunch bag and product coupons from Garden Lites, a Jamaica-based vegetable company that is cosponsoring the event with GrowingGreat. (Both entities have indicated that they plan to organize other Meet The Veggies! days at other venues in the near future.)
Admission is free, and registration is not required.
Images: Bender Group PR