A Queens Village man will be spending the next 22 years in a jail cell after pleading guilty earlier this month to fatally shooting a man outside a Woodside nightclub more than three years ago, prosecutors said.
Dwayne Johnson, 30, of 107th Avenue entered a guilty plea to first-degree manslaughter in the shooting death of Allah Howell, 25, early on the morning of Oct. 5, 2013 outside the Perfection nightclub on 30th Avenue near the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway.
At 4 a.m. that morning, law enforcement sources said, an NYPD sergeant assisting with crowd control at the location spotted Johnson walking up to Howell and pointing a firearm at him. Prosecutors said Johnson then fired several shots, striking Howell in the lung and heart, then fled the location.
Howell was later pronounced dead at Elmhurst Hospital.
According to the criminal complaint, the sergeant pursued Johnson, who was found a short time later hiding inside of St. Michael’s Cemetery. Police also recovered a .38-caliber revolver that Johnson dropped while on the run; his DNA was found on the weapon.
“The defendant has now been sentenced for the senseless killing of a 25-year-old man outside a nightclub in Queens,” Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said on April 19 in announcing Johnson’s sentencing. “As a result of this brazen crime, the children of the victim will never see their father again. And the defendant — a father as well — will be locked away for [a] long term of incarceration.”