Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Photo: Shutterstock
Photo: Shutterstock

The Port Authority is still looking into what caused a massive water main break at John F. Kennedy Airport’s Terminal 4 on Sunday afternoon that caused numerous delays and canceled many flights.

At 2 p.m. on Jan. 7, a water pipe that feeds the sprinkler system underneath the privately run Terminal 4 broke. The broken pipe started to flood the terminal, causing power to the affected areas of the terminal to be shut off for safety reasons.

The breakage caused delays for domestic arrivals and departures as well as international departures from Terminal 4. Some international flights destined for Terminal 4 will be diverted or accommodated at other JFK terminals.

At this time, Terminal 4 is still facing delays and travelers are urged to allow extra time for your flights and to contact your airline for any updates.

“What happened at JFK Airport is unacceptable, and travelers expect and deserve better,” said Port Authority Executive Director Rick Cotton. “While the water pipe break that occurred appears to be weather-related, we have launched an investigation into the incident to determine exactly what occurred and why an internal pipe was not weather protected and whether any other failures contributed to this disruption. The Port Authority is committed to providing the highest caliber of service to all travelers and we will hold those responsible accountable for any shortcomings we find.”


Join The Discussion

Related Stories
No Image
JFK’s Terminal 4 opens new upscale retailers as part of expansion project
No Image
JFK’s Terminal 4 adds more retail options
Popular Stories
QNS file photo
UPDATE: Flushing hit-and-run driver tells cops she thought the woman she killed was a chunk of ice
Photo via Google Maps
Glendale Catholic school shutting its doors this year due to plunge in enrollment
Photos courtesy of Matthew Wegner
Police apprehend man for fleeing the scene after crashing his car on Woodhaven Boulevard

Skip to toolbar