Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
File photo
File photo
The property manager at this Sunnyside condo will not seek re-election.

Neal Milano made headlines last August after a news report found that he often bullied tenants at the Sunnyside condo he managed and made people feel uncomfortable by plastering Nazi imagery in the lobby.

Now, Milano will not seek re-election on the board at 47-55 39th Pl., NY1 first reported.

In August 2017, Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer and other community leaders rallied in front of the building to call for an immediate investigation into Milano, who decked out the building’s lobby in disturbing imagery and allegedly harassed tenants for years.

The lobby is covered in posters that pay tribute to dictators such as Hitler and Mussolini, as well as the National Rifle Association and President Donald Trump. It also includes quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., President George Washington and William B. Travis.

At the press conference, Van Bramer said tenants have alleged threats of outrageous fines, eviction and even physical violence for filing harassment reports with police or for minor offenses, including recycling errors.

A lawsuit was filed against the condo board and Milano, according to condo owner and attorney Lynn Calvacca.

“He’s a bully,” Calvacca said at the press conference last year. “He’s a terrorist in this county, in this Sunnyside area … Everybody is so afraid.”

Milano was arrested on Sept. 3, 2017 and was charged with third-degree attempted assault, two counts of fourth-degree stalking, first-degree harassment and three counts of second-degree harassment.

The charges stem from a complaint filed by tenant Munkhtuy Nasanbuyan, who claimed that Milano stalked her and yelled obscenities at least 20 times from Sept. 2016 through July 2017. According to 43-year-old Nasanbuyan, the manager yelled obscenities such as “YOU F——G C–T W—E, YOU F—–G B—H” and threatened to burn the building down.

According to NY1, the NYPD also took away his gun permits and weapons.

The city’s Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) opened an investigation into Milano in August and according to officials at the agency, they hope to have the matter resolved by Jan. 15. On Monday, the condo board will hold elections and the CCHR will attend to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Since the investigation is ongoing, officials could not say if they will impose fines on Milano. Jacob Laufer, the attorney for Milano, said his client has decided not to run for a spot on the board.

“To avoid wasting further vital building resources fighting over mischaracterized artwork (that is historical in nature) and fending off demonstrably false and disturbing claims, the current board members have agreed not to run in the upcoming election,” Laufer said in a statement.

CCHR urges New Yorkers who face discrimination and harassment to call 718-722-3131.


Join The Discussion

Popular Stories
Image via Pixabay
These 6 Queens neighborhoods are among the best home seller's markets in New York: report
Photos by Phil Mackie/RHS NEWS
Woman killed after being struck by a school bus on a Kew Gardens street
Photo via Google Maps
Reported bankruptcy demise would spell the end of Toys R Us and its six remaining Queens stores

Skip to toolbar