HILLCREST — A fire broke out in an eye-wear store on Main Street in Hillcrest Saturday morning, a Fire Department spokesman said, leaving three firefighters hospitalized and causing smoke and water damage in two neighboring restaurants.
The rescue workers sustained minor back and neck injuries, the spokesman said. A witness said the store where the fire began at 72-73 Main St. was heavily damaged, while as many as four neighboring businesses sustained residual smoke and water damage from the rescue efforts.
Ladder 125 and Engine 315 were the first responders to the blaze, which required the efforts of 12 units and 60 firefighters.
The fire was under control within 45 minutes, a Fire Department spokesman said. No civilians were injured.