Quantcast

Brothers burned by Drano on bus

Brothers burned by Drano on bus
By Bianca Fortis

Two brothers were injured Saturday when a bottle of liquid drain cleaner leaked onto the floor of a public bus, police said.

Ivan Ivanov, 32, a Kennedy Airport employee, allegedly filled a plastic bottle with Drano, a product used to clean drains and septic tanks, police said. Ivanov told police he was transporting the product from work to home via the Q53 bus.

An NYPD spokesman said the Drano had not been put into the proper container, and the product ate through the bottle as well as the bag.

The boys, ages 5 and 8, were sitting on the floor of the bus and the Drano leaked onto their backs and buttocks, police said.

Emergency personnel responded to the scene at the corner of Woodhaven Boulevard and Metropolitan Avenue in Forest Hills.

The children were taken to New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Hospital, where they were treated for minor injuries, according to police.

Ivanov was arrested at the scene and charged with reckless endangerment, police said.

Reach reporter Bianca Fortis by email at [email protected] or by phone at 718-260-4546.

More from Around New York