City Hears More Than 100,000 Requests For Jackets
As of last Wednesday, Jan. 15, New York Cares has only received 29,000 coats on the 25th anniversary of its drive, yet it has received more than 100,000 requests for coats.
This year the coat drive is called the Super Community Coat Drive, and is a partnership with the NY/NJ Super Bowl Host Committee and Jersey Cares to promote the entire region’s generosity and goodwill in preparation for Super Bowl XLVIII.
From now through Feb. 7-the Friday after Super Bowl XLVIII- individuals can donate gently used, freshly laundered coats at various locations, and the need is urgent.
“We are very grateful to all of our partners who’ve extended their collections this year,” said Gary Bagley, executive director of New York Cares. “Having drop-off sites through Feb. 7 will help close the gap, because the need is real. People will miss work, children will miss school, and seniors will skip trips to the doctor, all because they don’t have a coat to keep them warm.”
New Yorkers can donate coats at any police precinct 24 hours a day, seven days a week, or at the following locations through Feb. 7. Visit www.newyorkcares.org/coat-drive for exact times and locations, and additional collection sites by ZIP code.
– Janovic Paint & Decorating Centers, 30-35 Thomson Ave., Long Island City, Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. until 6 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.
– Koeppel Subaru, 42-01 Northern Blvd., Long Island City;
– Storage Deluxe, 39-25 21st St., Long Island City, Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.
– Storage Deluxe, 45-46 39th St. in Long Island City, Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.
– Storage Post, 30-28 Starr Ave., Long Island City, Sundays from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
– Storage Deluxe of College Point, 124-16 31st Ave., Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m.
– Center for Automotive Education and Training, 15-30 Petracca Pl. in College Point, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
– Greater New York Automobile Dealers, 18-10 Whitestone Expwy., Whitestone/College Point, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
– City Mitsubishi, 56-15 Northern Blvd., Woodside, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m.
– Koeppel Mazda, 57-01 Northern Blvd., Woodside.
– Storage Deluxe, 33-24 Woodside Ave., Woodside, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m.
The New York Cares Coat Drive is one of the largest of its kind in the United States. Since 1989, New York Cares has collected and distributed 1.6 million coats.
The thousands of donated coats will be counted, sorted and distributed to organizations serving the homeless and other low-income New Yorkers, at an 8,600 square foot temporary warehouse space located at 157 West 31st St. in midtown Manhattan.
The sponsors for this year’s New York Cares Coat Drive are the NY/NJ Super Bowl Host Committee, Rubenstein, the NYPD, the MTA, Vornado Realty Trust, Toshiba, NBC 4 New York and Telemundo 47, WBLS 107.5 FM, and Time Warner Cable.
New Yorkers can make financial donations in support of the Coat Drive and New York Cares’ yearround work online, by text or by mail. For more information about the New York Cares Coat Drive, locations, news, or to make a financial donation, the public can visit www.newyorkcares.org or call 1-646-801-4022.