Social Security Goes Green For Earth Day Next Week
For years, Social Security has been at the forefront of offering convenient, easy-to-use, and secure online services. We, along with those we serve, have saved a lot of paper, shipping costs, and fuel-and cut back on a lot of carbon exhaust and pollution-by going online instead of doing things the old-fashioned, less efficient way. We are committed to conserving energy, reducing waste, and protecting our environment.
Earth Day (April 22) is the perfect time to highlight ways we serve the earth while serving you. We have buildings across the nation that boast high-efficiency lighting, solar hot water heating systems, highperformance windows, solar lighting in parking lots, improved heating and air conditioning systems, chilled water system improvements, and more.
We’re most proud, though, of our online services, which allow people to conserve their own fuel (and time) by completing their business with us where they are instead of where we are.
Our online services are popular because they’re convenient easy to use, and great for the environment.
You can conduct so much of your business with us from the convenience of your home or office-no paper, printing, postage or petrol needed. Here are a few of our most popular online services:
– Connect with us by creating your own my Social Security online account that allows you quick access to your personal Social Security information. For example, during your working years, you can use my Social Security to obtain a copy of your Social Security Statement to check your earnings record and see estimates of the future retirement, disability, and survivor benefits you and your family may receive. If you already receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you can use my Social Security to view, save, and print a benefit verification letter and check your benefit payment information. Social Security beneficiaries also can change their address and start or change direct deposit information online.
– Use our Retirement Estimator to get a quick and accurate estimate of your future Social Security retirement benefits. www.socialsecurity.gov/estimator
– Prepare for retirement by visiting our Benefits Planner page. You can also use the disability and survivors planners to find out how much you or your family might qualify for if the need arises. www.socialsecurity.gov/planners
– Retire online! You can complete and submit your retirement application online in as little as 15 minutes. www.socialsecurity.gov/retireonline
– Apply for disability benefits. www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisa bility
– Apply for Medicare benefits. www.socialsecurity.gov/medicareonl y
Whether you’re interested in planning your retirement or applying for retirement or disability benefits, our online “office” is the most convenient and “green” one to visit. Our online services also top customer satisfaction lists. For a complete list of our online services, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/onlineservic es.