Updated 2:49 p.m.
There was a little Monday morning madness for Bayside High School students.
Sixty firefighters and additional police officers responded to a fire caused by a device in a classroom on the first floor of the building at 32-24 Corporal Kennedy St., leading to the evacuation of hundreds of students.
The device was a cellphone strapped to two batteries located in a locker in the classroom, police said. The bomb squad was called to investigate the device, and determined it was “not suspicious.” Authorities believe it was a homemade cellphone charger.
Fire officials were called around 10 a.m. and put the flames out at about 11:30 a.m., according to the FDNY. No one was reported hurt, authorities said.
Students evacuated from the school were taken to local middle and elementary schools, but were transported back to Bayside High around 2 p.m.
There’s 3 fire trucks and 2 cop cars. Let me go home and watch Netflix. pic.twitter.com/EMuDuvbsAY
— ?? ? (@amycheng143) April 27, 2015
- See it: A Forest Hills founder’s home hits the market for $3.7 million
- Suspect wanted for groping woman on 7 train: NYPD
- JFK passenger caught with $30K of cocaine in running shoes