By Madina Toure
FLUSHING — A fire broke out in the basement of a supermarket in Flushing late Wednesday morning, the FDNY said.
The Fire Department received a report of a manhole fire at about 10:51 a.m., according to an FDNY spokesman.
The manhole may be connected to the basement of the building of the H&Y Marketplace, located at 150-51 Northern Blvd., the spokesman said.
There were elevated carbon monoxide readings as high as 700 parts per million, but the sprinkler system activated and the fire was knocked down at about 12:19 p.m., the spokesman said.
Con Edison shut off the power and it was evaluating the air quality to make sure that people remain safe, the spokesman added.
There were no reported injuries and the FDNY was still actively working on the scene, he said.