November is Diabetes Awareness month. Did you know that nearly 30 million people in the U.S. have some form of diabetes? What’s more amazing is that more than 8 million people living with diabetes don’t even know it!
Diabetes affects your body’s ability to process sugar. But what does that have to do with your teeth? Left untreated here’s how diabetes can affect your mouth and teeth:
- Diabetes may cause a reduction in saliva, and unbeknownst to many, saliva actually protects your teeth. Less saliva puts you at a higher risk for cavities
- Diabetes may cause gingivitis—gums become inflamed and often bleed often
- Diabetes can delay healing, giving bacteria and diseases time to infect damaged areas of your mouth, making you more susceptible to oral infections, including periodontal disease
- Periodontal disease affects a whopping 22% of people with diabetes and can actually increase the progression of a person’s diabetes if left untreated!
HERE’S HOW TO FIGHT BACK AND KEEP SMILING:
- Control your blood-glucose levels by carefully and faithfully following medications as prescribed by your doctor
- Thoroughly brush and properly floss at least twice a day using a soft-bristle toothbrush
- Eat more healthily and exercise
- Don’t smoke
- If you wear a denture, clean it every day
- See your dentist for regular cleanings and check-ups
People with diabetes have special needs and Steinway Family Dental Center has the expertise equipped to meet those needs. Steinway Family Dental Center provides quality dental care for families in Queens, delivering outstanding quality care for general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, and restorations. If you are looking for emergency dentists, contact us for treatment for tooth pain and other dental emergencies.
Their general dentistry services include dental cleanings, exams, oral cancer screenings, dental fillings and night guards. If you want to improve the appearance and function of the teeth, they offer teeth whitening, partial dentures & implants, oral & maxillofacial surgery, porcelain veneers & Invisalign braces, and much more.