Quantcast
Flushing man charged for Kissena Park attacks: DA – QNS.com

Flushing man charged for Kissena Park attacks: DA

Charles Tobin, 29, charged with sexual assault for Kissena Park attacks.
Photo by Michael Shain
By Gina Martinez

A Flushing man has been charged with rape after allegedly attacking two women on two consecutive nights in Kissena Park, Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said.

Charles Tobin, 29, was arraigned last Friday in Queens Criminal Court and charged with predatory sexual assault, rape, criminal sexual act, robbery and criminal possession of a weapon, Brown said.

According to the charges, Tobin held a knife to a 32-year-old woman and demand money July 18 as she was walking in Kissena Park just before 11 p.m.. After the victim handed Tobin money from her purse, he allegedly forced her to perform a sex act on him before raping her, Brown said.

The Queens DA alleged that in the second incident the following night, Tobin held a knife to a 17-year-old female jogger, who was inside Kissena Park at 11 p.m., and demanded money. Brown said that when the jogger responded that she did not have any money, Tobin allegedly told her, “Then you will have to do something for me.” The DA said Tobin then allegedly held the knife to her neck and sexually abused her before forcing her to perform a sex act on him.

“Our city parks should be a safe haven for people at any time of the day or night,” Brown said. “But earlier this week it is alleged that a human predator lurked in the darkness and, in separate attacks, ambushed two lone women – one 32, the other only 17 – at knife point, raping and robbing one and attempting to rob the other before sexually assaulting her. The defendant now faces the possibility of spending the rest of his life behind bars if convicted.”

Tobin is currently being held without bail and his next court date is set for Aug. 4.

Reach Gina Martinez by e-mail at gmartinez@cnglocal.com or by phone at (718) 260–4566.

More from Around New York