Train service nearly back on schedule as Port Authority bombing investigtion underway

Train service nearly back on schedule as Port Authority bombing investigtion underway
Commuters on the No. 7 lines are diverted away from the Port Authority bus terminal this morning after a small bomb explosion closed the 42nd Street station. This photo is from a bomb scare in 2006.
Photo by Seth Wenig/AP
By Mark Hallum

Subway service was nearly back to normal after an explosion in the Port Authority Bus Terminal caused up to 11 trains to skip the 42nd Street stop near 8th Avenue as an investigation into the incident took place beginning at around 7:20 a.m. Monday morning.

Authorities said three people were injured in what appeared to have been a pipe bomb attack. A suspect, who was among those injured, has been taken into custody.

“There are no known additional incidents or activities… You will see additional NYPD presence throughout the city,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

Jackson Heights was without E train service as it was rerouted along the F line between 36th Street in Queens and West 4th in Manhattan, while the No. 7 N, Q, R and W trains all skipped the station closest to where the drama unfolded, Times Square – 42nd Street.

By about 10 a.m., the bus terminal had reopened and most train service returned to normal.

The No. 7 was still currently skipping Times Square – 42nd Street, according to the NYC Transit.

“This is NYC, we don’t live in fear. But if you see something suspicious you have an obligation to come forward and tell us,” NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill said.

According to O’Neill, the incident happened in the heavily used pedestrian tunnel connecting the bus terminal to the 42nd Street – Times Square subway station.

In a statement, O’Neill said the 27-year-old suspect was found in critical condition wearing an improvised explosive device and was taken into custody and held at Bellevue Medical Center.

The suspect, known as Akayed Ullah, is currently being investigated by the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force as surveillance footage is underway as well as an interview of a witness, according to police.

Reach reporter Mark Hallum by e-mail at mhall[email protected]glocal.com or by phone at (718) 260–4564.

More from Around New York