Quantcast

The history of Woodhaven’s Wyckoff-Snedeker Family Cemetery: Our Neighborhood, The Way it Was

Wyckoff-Snedeker Family Cemetery
The Wyckoff-Snedeker Family Cemetery is nestled between All Saints Episcopal Church on 96th Street and 86th Avenue, and the backyards of houses along 98th Street, north of Jamaica Avenue. The houses on 98th Street used to be a part of the famed Napier Farm. (Courtesy of Woodhaven Cultural and Historical Society)

A walk through the Wyckoff-Snedeker Family Cemetery in Woodhaven not only reveals a lot about its history, it also reveals a lot about the perilous conditions people lived in three centuries ago.

Back then, Woodhaven was still mostly untamed woods and farmland, and life was hard. Many of the tombstones in Woodhaven’s cemetery are for young people, many of them children.

Many of the immigrants who settled Woodhaven were members of the Dutch Reformed Church and traveled regularly to their house of worship, via carriage, in East New York, Brooklyn. Many of the settlers were buried in that very same churchyard.

Many of the Dutch settlers of Woodhaven were buried on this piece of land donated by the Wyckoff and Snedeker families. Many of the tombstones are still legible and old surveys and maps show the location where people are buried, despite missing markers. (Courtesy of Woodhaven Cultural and Historical Society)

In the late 1700s, two families — the Wyckoffs and the Snedekers — each donated a plot of land along the borderline of their two farms. The purpose was to create a burial yard that was more convenient to travel to and, over the next hundred years or so, more than 200 people were buried here in Woodhaven’s historic private cemetery.

Today, the cemetery sits behind All Saints Episcopal Church at 96th Street and 86th Avenue. All Saints, which was founded in 1897 and moved to Woodhaven in 2013, celebrates its 125th anniversary this month. It took over the church building left empty when St. Matthew’s, founded in 1901, closed its doors for good in 2011.

The last known burial in the Wyckoff-Snedeker Family Cemetery was around the turn of the century, nearly 120 years ago. It was a few years after the cemetery closed that the church (St. Matthew’s) was built right next to it.

On the other side of the cemetery was the Napier farm (on 98th Street and Jamaica Avenue, with the property stretching all the way to Park Lane South). The house was a showplace, set back from Jamaica Avenue, fronted by a white picket fence. There was also a large barn and other buildings usually associated with a well-run farm. Mr. Charles Napier was a breeder of thoroughbred horses and they had the run of the large pasture at the rear of the property.

During the winter, the Napiers very kindly sent a man with a horse and snow plow through the Brooklyn Manor section of Woodhaven to keep lanes open so the residents could get to St. Matthew’s.

Over time, the city of New York inherited the cemetery, and years of neglect and vandalism followed with many tombstones broken and others lost forever. St. Matthew’s, which had been periodically taking care of the graveyard, purchased the cemetery at an auction for $600 in 1963.

The church did not want to own and be responsible for the long driveway leading to the cemetery from Jamaica Avenue, but they retained the right-of-way for the cemetery path. In the years since, some neighbors have encroached on this driveway and you can no longer access the cemetery from Jamaica Avenue.

In the 1990s, a group of volunteers from the church, from the Woodhaven Cultural and Historical Society and from the Queens Historical Society met every Saturday for two years. Using a 1919 survey put together by Charles Powell, an engineer for the city’s topographical bureau, architect Allan Smith and Arthur O’Meally, an engineer and trustee of the Queens Historical Society, worked with the volunteers to re-erect stones in their original location.

Unfortunately, over time, the cemetery once again fell victim to neglect and vandalism and became, yet again, an overgrown eyesore.

St. Matthew’s closed its doors and was deconsecrated in 2011. The community was worried about what would happen to the church and the cemetery, but the church soon reopened under the strong leadership of the Rev. Dr. Norman Whitmire Jr. and the church was renamed All Saints Episcopal Church.

Volunteers from the community and the church have joined forces since then to keep the cemetery respectable as a tribute to the men and women and children that lived here in this community many years before.

More from Around New York