THE COURIER/Graphic Image

Updated Tuesday, Oct. 7, 12:20 p.m.

Two young brothers were killed in a St. Albans fire Monday night after candles were left unattended in their home, according to authorities.

The fire, at a two-story residence at 188-15 Tioga Dr., broke out around 7:10 p.m. in the living room on the first floor, engulfing the home, the FDNY said. It took about 45 minutes to bring the blaze under control.

Fire officials found a candle melted on the floor near the sofa, where the flames ignited. Witnesses said the family used candles, which were found throughout the home, in prayer ceremonies, according to the FDNY. There were no smoke detectors on the first and second floors of the home. Smoke detectors in the basement failed to go off.

Two boys, Andrew Kavanagh, 6, and John Kavanagh, 11, were discovered on the second floor and taken to Queens Hospital Center, where they died, police said.

A third victim, a 33-year-old man, was transported to Jamaica Hospital in stable condition after he jumped from a window to escape, authorities said. He sustained injuries to his hands and feet. The man’s exact relationship to the children was not immediately clear, but police said it does not appear he is related to them.

Two firefighters also suffered minor injuries, according to the FDNY.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

 

 

 

Comments:

Join The Discussion



Related Stories
Firefighters battled a four-alarm inferno raging through Ozone Park buildings
Firefighters battled a four-alarm inferno raging through Ozone Park buildings
FDNY extinguishes two early morning fires in Maspeth and Ridgewood that left 14 people injured
FDNY extinguishes two early morning fires in Maspeth and Ridgewood that left 14 people injured
Popular Stories
'Landmark' seafood restaurant London Lennie's in Rego Park listed for sale with 'development' potential
St. John's University in Jamaica graduates largest class in three decades
Probe continues after a decomposed body washes up on the shores of Whitestone


Skip to toolbar