Image via Google Maps
P.S./I.S 119Q in Glendale, where an online threat led to the evacuation of the school on April 26.

Students and faculty of P.S./I.S. 119 in Glendale were forced to evacuate the building this morning when a threat against the school surfaced online.

According to a letter sent by Principal Jeanne Fagan to the parents of the school, she received information sometime on the morning of April 26 about “something posted on social media that threatened the safety and security of those in the building.” (QNS obtained a copy of the letter.)

Fagan wrote that the NYPD was immediately contacted and after consulting with police, the decision was made to evacuate the building. During the evacuation, all students and staff were moved “to the perimeter of the school building,” and police conducted an investigation inside the school.

After approximately 20 minutes, authorities concluded that the building was safe and the faculty and students returned to their regular schedules.

“We assure you that every precaution was taken and will continue to be taken to ensure the safety of our students and staff,” Fagan wrote.

Police sources confirmed that they were contacted at approximately 8:30 a.m. on April 26, and that the threat involved a bomb. Police could not yet confirm exactly where the threat originated online, but said that it was made by a student at least one day prior to being discovered on April 26.

Parents, on the other hand, took to social media themselves to voice frustrations over the details of the incident, or lack thereof. A number of parents posted in Glendale community groups on Facebook stating that they were misled to believe it was just a fire drill or that nothing happened at all when they called the school to find out what was going on.

“Out of an abundance of caution, P.S. 119 was temporarily evacuated while the NYPD conducted a thorough investigation into a potential threat that was determined to be non-credible,” according to a Department of Education statement. “All students and staff are safe, and the school followed protocol in addressing this incident.”

Robert Pozarycki contributed to this story. Updated on April 26 at 4:45 p.m.


Join The Discussion

Skip to toolbar