Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Three upcoming excursions offer the opportunity to get exercise, meet interesting people, and explore fascinating Queens neighborhoods. (Of course, great food is in the mix, too.)

Kevin J. Walsh, an historian who runs the ForgottenNY blog, will lead a walking tour of Corona on Sunday, Aug. 5, at noon.

After meeting at the public plaza near the 7 train’s 103rd Street station, Walsh will take the crowd to Lemon Ice King, long-standing firehouses and churches, lost racetracks, World’s Fair remnants, NASA rockets, and one of NYC’s last remaining bocce hotspots, William F. Moore Park on 108th Street.

The event will last roughly two hours, Walsh predicts, and the route is mostly flat with no major hills. He’ll proceed if there’s a light rain, but not if there’s a storm.

Tickets cost $20. Register via kevinjudewalsh@gmail.com.

Enthusiasts will then have one day to rest before Jack Eichenbaum offers his annual Rock-A-Way Ba-by for the Sun-Set on Tuesday, Aug. 7, at 6 p.m.

The official historian of Queens since 2010 as per a decree from the borough president, Eichenbaum will begin at Thai Rock, a restaurant at 375 Beach 92nd St. with a beautiful view of Jamaica Bay. He’ll then mosey on and off a boardwalk for about one mile to another eatery, The Wharf, at 416 Beach 116th St.

The Bayside native, who has a Ph.D. in urban geography from the University of Michigan, will discuss an area where surfers, long-time natives, and even hipsters co-exist in an urban beach environment. Hurricane Sandy caused much damage in 2012, but the neighborhood has bounced back with house renovations and business investment.

The price is $20, and registration is required via jaconet@aol.com.

After a short rest, Eichenbaum, who worked for the NYC Department of Finance’s Property Division, will lead a tour of Kingsland Homestead’s three venues in Flushing on Wednesday, Aug. 8, at 5:30 p.m.

It’s a bit confusing, due to two relocations. The two-story historic house was built in 1785 by Charles Doughty, the son of a wealthy Quaker. The estate became “Kingsland” after Doughty’s son-in-law, British sea captain Joseph King, bought the property in 1801.

To get away from a planned subway stop, descendants moved the house a few hundred feet south in 1926. Then as development was engulfing the area in 1968, the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities and the Kingsland Preservation Committee moved the structure to its current home at 143-35 37th Ave.

The group will meet at Kingsland’s current address and then head to the other sites, which are in a heavily Korean-American section of Flushing known as “Murray Hill.”

Kingsland is a museum, but it’s also where the Queens Historical Society is based. A mixture of classic Dutch and English architecture and style, it features a gambrel roof, a crescent-shaped window in a side gable, a Federal-period chimney piece with an iron Franklin stove, a two-level front door, and a Victorian style parlor on the second floor.

The house is in Weeping Beech Park, where a 60-foot-high weeping beech lived from 1847 until 1998. For a long time, the tree had city landmark status and it is believed to be the original source for all weeping beeches in the United States. An offspring of this tree currently lives on Kingsland’s property.

Admission is $30. Again, register via jaconet@aol.com.

Image: Steve Garza

Comments:

Join The Discussion



Related Stories
Here is a rundown of everything that’s going on in Queens for day two of ‘City Hall in Your Borough’
Here is a rundown of everything that’s going on in Queens for day two of ‘City Hall in Your Borough’
Popular Stories
UPDATE: Teenager turns himself in for slashing student at Benjamin Cardozo High School in Bayside
Man shouts hate slurs at woman, then punches and leaves her with broken spine in Forest Hills subway attack
Video shows firefighters caught in a violent blast as five-alarm fire destroys row of Sunnyside shops


Skip to toolbar