Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Woodside man sentenced in assault of MTA conductor: DA
By Cassidy Klein

KEW GARDENS — A 23-year-old Woodside man who pleaded guilty last month to second-degree assault as a hate crime following an attack on an MTA employee in June 2018 was sentenced Monday to three and a half years in prison, according to Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown.

According to the charges, at approximately 9:20 p.m. on June 18 at the Forest Hills Station, MTA train conductor Keith Simon spotted the defendant sleeping on the train as he did a walk through. He woke the defendant, Meher Kalam, of 65th Street, and told him he had to exit the train.

Kalam then yelled racial slurs and proceeded to push Simon toward a slowly-approaching train, according to the charges. He punched the conductor in the face, and when Simon tried to restrain the defendant he was repeatedly punched in the stomach.

“This was a vicious, unprovoked attack on an MTA worker who was just doing his job,” said Brown. “This kind of violence — especially motivated by hate and prejudice — will not be tolerated in Queens County. Our MTA workers interact with the public every day and do an outstanding job. They deserve courtesy and to be safe on the job. This defendant is going to jail as a result of his animus and this senseless act of violence.”

Kalam pleaded guilty before Queens Supreme Court Justice Barry Schwartz Sept. 17, which led to Monday’s sentencing.

— Cassidy Klein

Related Stories
Robber who fought victim for cellphone at Jackson Heights train station still at large: cops
Robber who fought victim for cellphone at Jackson Heights train station still at large: cops
Man sought for questioning in connection to a Laurelton slashing outside of a deli
Man sought for questioning in connection to a Laurelton slashing outside of a deli
Popular Stories
Many Queens priests on Diocese of Brooklyn list of clergy credibly accused of sexually abusing minors
Queens reacts after Amazon pulls out of multi-billion dollar plans for Long Island City
'You can't speak for us': Astoria & Long Island City residents blast opponents of Amazon HQ proposal


Skip to toolbar