Police Blotter: No injuries reported in accidental gun firing

By Staff Writers

BAYSIDE – Police were investigating an accidental shooting by an unidentified off-duty police officer Sunday night, in which no one was injured.

Thomas Schulz, a probationary officer assigned to the 111th Precinct, which covers Bayside, Little Neck and Douglaston, was cleaning his 9mm weapon at his home just after 7 p.m. when it accidentally fired, said Officer Lee Ann Tracy-Ader, a police spokeswoman.

A gunshot went through a window and into the house next door, Tracy-Ader said. No one was injured.

Tracy-Ader said no disciplinary measures were taken but police were investigating.

“There's always an investigation after any shooting,” she said.

Police would not reveal the exact location of the shooting.

Superbowl betting ring busted in Bayside

BAYSIDE — A Superbowl betting ring was busted in Bayside Sunday as part of a citywide crackdown, police said.

The 111th Police Precinct joined forces with the Organized Crime Investigations Division of the NYPD to arrest one person and issue summons to 13 others at 211-14 Northern Blvd. Sunday, Officer Anthony Lombardi said.

The bust recovered more than $5,000 in cash and about eight television sets, Sgt. Ralph Andalia said.

More than 280 people were arrested across the city and more than $42,000 was recovered as part of the Police Department's enforcement efforts over the weekend, Andalia said.

Youths try to rob 3 teens in MS 67 yard

DOUGLASTON – Three teenagers were accosted by another group of teens in a Douglaston schoolyard Tuesday afternoon in a robbery attempt that was broken up only after an adult stepped in, police said.

The three boys were students at MS 67 in Douglaston, said Detective Joseph Pentangelo, a police spokesman.

On their way home from school at about 3 p.m. Tuesday, Pentangelo said, three teens were accosted in the MS 67 schoolyard by three other teenagers, one of whom pulled a knife on them and demanded money.

The three suspects ran away when an older woman told them to leave the three boys alone, Pentangelo said. Police did not release any names.

Police in the 111th Precinct were looking for the three 14-year-old Asian boys who were the suspects, Pentangelo said.

Woman raped by cab driver

HOLLIS – A 46-year-old woman was raped Sunday night by the driver of a livery cab she had hailed on her way home, police said.

The woman, whose name was withheld because of the nature of the crime, hailed the cab near the corner of 196th Street and Jamaica Avenue shortly before 11 p.m. Sunday, said Officer Lee Ann Tracy-Ader, a police spokeswoman.

Instead of taking her home, the driver, an unidentified man in his 20s, drove her to Henderson Avenue near 188th Street, where he raped her inside the cab, Tracy-Ader said.

The woman was treated and released by Mary Immaculate Hospital, Tracy-Ader said. There were no arrests and an investigation was continuing.

No further description of the cab or its driver were available.

Hollis man arrested in S. Ozone Park murder

HOLLIS – Police arrested a 20-year-old Hollis man in the murder last year of a 24-year-old man who was shot and killed during an apparent robbery, authorities said.

Leslie Seide, 20, of 106-15 217th St., was arrested by police in the 105th Precinct at 3 p.m. Tuesday, said Detectove Madelyne Galindo, a Police Department spokeswoman.

He was charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of 24-year-old Jasper Rose, of 116-04 140th St. in South Ozone Park, who was shot several times in the torso and died at Mary Immaculate Hospital on Oct. 26, Galindo said.

Rosedale teen charged on two counts

ROSEDALE – A Rosedale teenager was arrested early Sunday after he allegedly tried to rob an off-duty corrections officer at gunpoint and was then shot twice by the officer, police said.

Welgive Desvallons, 17, of 240-02 145th Ave. was arrested Sunday after being treated for gunshot wounds to the back and leg at Mary Immaculate Hospital, said Officer Theresa Farello, a Police Department spokeswoman.

He was charged with attempted robbery and criminal possession of a weapon, Farello said.

The shooting took place at about 2:20 a.m. Sunday when the off-duty officer, Kevin Reed, 39, who worked at a Kings County prison ward, got out of his car near 148th Road and Weller Lane, Farello said.

The teen suspect approached him with a gun, prompting Reed to fire his own weapon, hitting the suspect once in the back and once in the leg, Farello said.

Intruder stabs Rosedale man

ROSEDALE – a Rosedale man was stabbed in the stomach last Thursday evening upon returning home and finding a stranger there, police said.

The man was stabbed in the stomach by an intruder who had entered his home on North Conduit Avenue at around 6:30 p.m., said Police Department spokesman Louis Cruz.

The suspect fled and the injured man was taken to Jamaica Hospital, where he was listed as stable, Cruz said.

There were no arrests and an investigation was ongoing.

Man shot twice, suspect flees

SPRINGFIELD GARDENS – A 21-year-old man who was shot twice late Friday stumbled into Jamaica Hospital after an attack, police said.

The man, whose name was not released, was shot once in the right arm and once in the right leg near 145-77 Farmers Blvd. by a suspect who fled on foot, said Officer Chris Cottingham, a police department spokesman.

The man was listed as stable at the hospital and an investigation was ongoing, Cottingham said.

Man escapes armed thieves, jumps from Jeep

MASPETH – A 52-year-old man escaped from two thieves who stole his car early Tuesday, by jumping out of the car in which they were holding him at gunpoint, police said.

The man was driving his gray, 1987 Jeep Laredo near the corner of 31st Avenue and 73rd Street in Jackson Heights at around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday, when a van struck him from behind, said Louis Cruz, a police department spokesman.

When the driver got out to inspect the damage, two men accosted him with a gun, forcing him into the van, Cruz said.

As one of the suspects drove with the victim in the van, the second followed in the man's Jeep, Cruz said, driving south into Maspeth for more than two miles before the man was able to jump out of the van near the Long Island Expressway and Maurice Avenue.

The man was not seriously hurt.

Police were looking for the Jeep Laredo and two Hispanic men in their 30s or 40s, Cruz said.

Teens arrested for attempted robbery near Queens Center

ELMHURST – Two teenagers who were wanted by police for several robberies were arrested last Thursday after they tried to rob two other teenagers near the Queens Center Mall, police said.

Braulio Bernadel, 16, of 148-48 88th St., and a 15-year-old boy whose name was withheld because of his age were wanted for several crimes similar to the one they were attempting to carry out on Jan. 27 near Woodhaven and Queens boulevards, said Louis Cruz, a police spokesman.

The two did not use any weapons, but allegedly “strong-armed” their victims into handing over undetermined amounts of property and cash, Cruz said.

Police from the 110th Precinct arrested the two suspects last Thursday after they allegedly tried to rob a pair of 14-year-old boys, Cruz said. They were charged with attempted robbery and robbery for the previous incidents.

Eagle Electric smoke, fumes force 100 workers to evacuate

LONG ISLAND CITY – Fumes and smoke from the boiler room at the Eagle Electric building forced about 100 workers to evacuate the structure at 43-22 Queens St. Wednesday morning, authorities said.

About eight Fire Department units responded when workers began noticing fumes and smoke in the six-story brick building at about 8:45 a.m., said firefighter Joseph Leoncavello, a FDNY spokesman.

“They had noxious fumes coming from the boiler room so they had to evacuate about 100 people,” Leoncavello said. He said several workers smelled strong chemical odors coming from the building's bottom floor.

One person was treated for injuring his eye as he was evacuating the building, Leoncavello said, but there were no major injuries.

Authorities were still searching at press time Wednesday morning for what had caused the smoke and fumes.

Man stabbed to death in Jackson Hts. bar fight

JACKSON HEIGHTS – An unidentified man was stabbed during a fight at a Jackson Heights bar early Monday morning and died shortly afterwards after walking to a hospital, authorities said.

Detective Madelyne Galindo, a Police Department spokeswoman, said the man was in his 30s and was stabbed once in the chest after an altercation inside Serena's Bar at 85-13 Northern Blvd.

The wounded man, who police did not identify, made his way to Elmhurst Hospital more than six blocks away, where officials called police, Galindo said.

He died at the hospital after suffering one stab wound to the chest at around 4:30 a.m. Monday, Galindo said.

Police had no suspects as of press time Wednesday and were investigating.

More from Around New York