New York City Department Of Transportation
Because of ongoing construction work at several locations throughout Queens and Brooklyn, the city Department of Transportation (DOT) has announced numerous street closures in local neighborhoods for the upcoming week.
The announced diversions are current as of Wednesday, May 29. The DOT may shut down other roads should the need for emergency repairs arise.
Streets and highways that are affected by closures during this week include the following:
Repaving In R’wood, Maspeth & Midville
Weather permitting, DOT crews will conduct street resurfacing work along the following roadways:
– 57th Avenue between 74th and 80th streets in Maspeth and Elmhurst for milling on Friday, May 31;
– 58th Avenue between 74th and 75th streets in Middle Village for milling on Friday, May 31;
– 60th Avenue between 59th Place and Fresh Pond Road in Maspeth for milling on Thursday, May 30;
– 60th Road between Fresh Pond Road and 65th Street in Maspeth for milling on Thursday, May 30, and Friday, May 31;
– 69th Street between Eliot and Metropolitan avenues in Middle Vil- lage for paving on Thursday, May 30;
– 75th Street between 58th Avenue and 4th Street in Middle Village for milling on Thursday, May 30;
– Menahan Street between Fresh Pond Road and Traffic Avenue in Ridgewood for paving on Friday, May 31; and
– Traffic Avenue between Menahan and Woodbine streets in Ridgewood for paving on Friday, May 31.
Bridge Work On J. Robinson Pkwy.
One lane in each direction of the Jackie Robinson Parkway will be closed over Austin Street in Forest Hills on weekdays from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. through June 11 as the DOT conducts bridge repairs.
Kew Gdns. Project Affects Union Tpke.
Long-term construction related to the state Department of Transportation’s Kew Gardens Interchange project will require the right lane of Union Turnpike eastbound to be closed at all times between 128th and 134th streets. All existing traffic lanes will remain open and are shifted to the left.
Lane Closures On Van Wyck Expwy.
One of three lanes in each direction of the Van Wyck Expressway between Jewel Avenue and Union Turnpike may be closed on Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. due to construction work related to the Kew Gardens rehabilitation project.
Additionally, up to two lanes in either direction of the expressway in the same section may be closed on overnights from 1 to 5 a.m.
Lane Closures On
Grand Central Pkwy.
One lane of the Grand Central Parkway in each direction will be closed between 82nd and 111th streets on weekdays from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. and 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. on weekdays. Lane closures will also take place from 10 p.m. Fridays to 7 a.m. Saturdays and from 10 p.m. Saturdays to 3 p.m. Sundays.
Two lanes of traffic in each direction may be closed on weeknights from 12:01 until 5 a.m., Saturdays from 1 to 6 a.m. and Sundays from 1 to 9 a.m.
Bridge Repainting Affects BQE Traffic
One lane in each direction of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway will be closed under the Astoria Boulevard overpass on weekdays from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. through June 28 as the DOT conducts bridge painting.
Exit Ramp Closed
Near Whitestone Br.
The Third Avenue exit on the northbound approach to the Whitestone Bridge is closed to all traffic as part of a $109 million reconstruction project.
Separate car and truck detours will be in place while the exit ramp is closed. Signs will be in place and traffic agents will be on hand when the detours begin. The closure is expected to remain in place for approximately two years.
Passenger vehicles driving from the northbound Cross Island Parkway will have to exit at Utopia Parkway (exit 34); those driving from the northbound Whitestone Expressway will need to exit past the 20th Avenue exit and merge onto the Cross Island Parkway.
All commercial vehicles must exit the Whitestone Expressway at 20th Avenue (exit 15).
For additional closures, visit the city DOT’s website at www.nyc.gov/dot or call 311.