BY CRISTABELLE TUMOLA AND LIAM LA GUERRE
RadioShack is tuning out nearly half its stores around the country in an effort to remain afloat, and many Queens residents could see their local stores closed within two months.
The nearly century-year old electronics retailer, which has been suffering serious economic setbacks in recent years, filed for bankruptcy on Thursday and will close 1,784 of its approximately 4,000 stores across the country.
In Queens, 12 of 28 total stores will be slashed. The stores will close in three waves, but Queens customers should expect the targeted locations to shut their doors only in the second and third phases, by March 31.
General Wireless Inc., an affiliate of RadioShack’s leading shareholder Standard General L.P., will buy between 1,500 to 2,400 stores, the retailer said. General Wireless and cellphone carrier Sprint have formed a deal to establish mini-Sprint stores in up to 1,750 of these purchased locations.
Here is a list of Queens locations slated for closure during the second wave of cuts, by Feb. 28:
1. Floral Park; 250-36 Jericho Tpke.
2. Jamaica; 175?51 Hillside Ave.
3. Flushing; 13346 Whitestone Expwy.
4. Kew Gardens; 8515 126th St.
5. Rego Park; 96-50 Queens Blvd.
6. East Elmhurst; 75-43 31st Ave.
7. Woodhaven; 92-11 Jamaica Ave.
8. Elmhurst; 8923 Queens Blvd.
9. Queens Village; 219-13 Jamaica Ave.
10. Ozone Park; 102-44 Atlantic Ave.
11. Bayside; 39-07 Bell Blvd.
12. Jackson Heights; 37-52 82nd St.