Man who caused MTA bus crash charged for possessing 64 bags of cocaine

An MTA bus crashed into two parked cars and a metal fence on Saturday after trying to avoid a car driving toward it.
Photo via Google Maps

The man who caused an MTA bus to crash at high speed into two parked cars and a metal fence in Springfield Gardens last weekend was charged this week with allegedly having bags full of cocaine on him during his wild ride.

Chevon Parchment, 24, of Elmont, Long Island was driving a 2015 Chrysler at Baisley Boulevard and 153rd Street after 9:30 p.m. on Oct. 3, when police attempted to stop him for not wearing a seat belt.

Police activated their lights and sirens but Parchment fled the scene and failed to stop at three stoplights and a stop sign, authorities said. When he failed to stop at a red light on South Conduit Avenue, his car was struck by an MTA bus, which then hit multiple parked vehicles, a metal fence and stopped near the side of a two-story house on Meadow Road.

According to prosecutors, Parchment was receiving medical attention at the scene, which required EMS to cut his clothing, when police noticed that a plastic bag containing 64 small Ziploc bags of cocaine were laying on top of his boxers. Each small bag contained 1/8th of an ounce of cocaine.

“What allegedly began as a traffic stop for driving without a seatbelt quickly escalated when the defendant attempted to avoid being stopped by the police,” Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said. “As a result of his alleged reckless actions, the defendant put the lives of pedestrians, bus passengers, the police – and himself – needlessly at risk.”

Parchment was charged on Wednesday with third- and fourth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, second-degree reckless endangerment, third-degree unlawful fleeing a police officer in a motor vehicle, reckless endangerment of property and various traffic violations.

His bail was set at $10,000 and Parchment was ordered to return to court on Oct. 21. If convicted, Parchment faces up to nine years in prison.