Maspeth homeowner went nuts and assaulted cops after getting a stop-work order

The owner of this Maspeth Avenue house allegedly assaulted two 104th Precinct officers on Jan. 23.
Photo via Google Maps

The Brooklyn man who allegedly hurled a foreign object at police officers at a Maspeth home this week went ballistic after a city inspector halted construction on his property, prosecutors said.

Greenpoint resident Edward Wysk, 51, was arrested on Jan. 23 for assaulting two members of the 104th Precinct who responded to a 911 call about the argument Wysk got into with a Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) inspector outside the Maspeth Avenue house that he owns.

According to Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown, Wysk became enraged after the DEP inspector issued a stop-work order on the property for failing to have the proper asbestos reports. Following a verbal argument, Wysk allegedly ripped up the order and threw the agent’s credentials to the ground.

When the inspector attempted to call police, prosecutors said, Wysk allegedly grabbed his phone and threw it against the wall, destroying it. He also grabbed hold of the man’s arm and shirt just before Police Officers Matthew Portoles and Randy Paulsaint of the 104th Precinct arrived on the scene.

Law enforcement sources said Wysk ran into the house after Portoles attempted to take him into custody. Seconds later, as Portoles and Paulsaint attempted to enter the home, Wysk allegedly threw numerous objects through a window. One of the items — a brick, according to reports — struck Paulsaint in the head.

Paulsaint was rushed to Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, where he received five stitches to close a deep laceration and further treatment for a concussion.

Portoles also injured himself after banging his arm against a metal scaffold while attempting to arrest Wysk. The officer was treated for bruising and swelling.

During questioning, authorities said, Wysk allegedly admitted to throwing numerous items — including 2-by-4 beams and a fire extinguisher — at the officers. He also claimed that he went off on the DEP inspector because he didn’t trust his credentials.

Wysk was arraigned on Jan. 24 on charges of assault on a peace or police officer, second- and third-degree assault, fourth-degree criminal mischief, obstruction of governmental administration and harassment. He was released on $10,000 bail and must return to court on Feb. 7.

If convicted, Brown said, Wysk faces up to 15 years behind bars.