Astoria officers cuff Housing Bureau cop for assaulting and harassing his ex-girlfriend

Photo via Shutterstock

A six-year veteran of the NYPD was arrested twice this weekend by Astoria’s 114th Precinct in connection with a domestic violence case.

Police Officer Keith Roman, 29, of the NYPD Housing Bureau wound up in handcuffs on Sept. 21 on charges that he allegedly attacked his 24-year-old former girlfriend in Queens multiple times since May.

According to the criminal complaint that the Queens District Attorney’s office provided, Roman allegedly first assaulted his ex on May 16 at an undisclosed location in Queens. During a verbal argument, he allegedly grabbed her hand and squeezed it, then forcibly removed her umbrella and threw it, causing it to break.

On the night of June 20, police reported, Roman allegedly got into another argument with his former girlfriend, during which he punched her in the face and choked her with his hands. She also sustained a laceration to her foot as she attempted to run away from him.

Finally, on Sept. 7, Roman allegedly left her a threatening voicemail, telling her, “Watch over your shoulder and I will catch you. You better watch your back. You are going to turn around and I will be there. You do not know who you are messing with.” Prosecutors said he further texted his girlfriend a photo of a noose hanging from a tree.

Following an investigation, the 114th Precinct took Roman into custody on Sept. 21, charging him with two counts of third-degree assault, criminal obstruction of breathing, criminal mischief, aggravated harassment and second-degree harassment.

Court records noted that Roman was released without bail following his arraignment on Sept. 22. That same day, law enforcement sources said, Roman allegedly reached out to his ex-girlfriend through Facebook and left her two messages which caused her alarm and annoyance.

In doing so, prosecutors said, Roman violated a court order of protection barring him from making any contact with his former girlfriend until March 21, 2019.

After learning of the Facebook messages, officers from the 114th Precinct re-arrested Roman on Sept. 22 on additional counts of criminal contempt and aggravated harassment. According to court records, he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court the following day and again released without bail.

An NYPD spokesperson said that Roman has been suspended without pay.