Edgemere man faces up to 12 years in prison for animal cruelty charges after cops find emaciated animals during raid: DA

Police found 11 dogs and two cats living in deplorable conditions during a court-authorized search of an Edgemere home. The ASPCA is helping the animals recover.
Photo courtesy of the ASPCA

An Edgemere man is criminally charged with a multitude of crimes that run the gamut from animal cruelty to drugs and ammunition possession to burglary and even driving without a license.

Cory Elder, 43, of Beach 44th Street, was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Sunday on animal cruelty charges after the NYPD Grand Larceny Squad executed a search warrant of his home on the morning of Monday, Mar. 4, after a short-term investigation and found 11 dogs and 2 cats that were living in squalid conditions and kept in undersized and filthy cages.

Photo courtesy of the ASPCA

According to the charges, there was urine and feces on the bottoms of the cages and every animal appeared to be malnourished with their rib cages protruding.

Photo courtesy of the ASPCA

There was no accessible food or water for the animals. At least one of the dogs, a German shepherd, did not belong to Elder. The animals were removed from the residence and evaluated by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). During the search, police also uncovered fentanyl, heroin, and ammunition for a revolver found in his home, resulting in additional charges.

Photo courtesy of the ASPCA

“As alleged, the defendant tortured these animals,” Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said. “They were abused, malnourished and kept. The treatment plus the ammunition and drugs that were recovered leaves the defendant facing 12 years in prison. I will always hold accountable those who abuse defenseless animals. Thank you to the NYPD and ASPCA for rescuing the dogs and cats from their misery.”

Photo courtesy of the ASPCA

The animals were immediately transported to the ASPCA Gloria Gurney Canine Annex for Recovery and Enrichment (CARE) and Animal Recovery (ARC) in Manhattan, where veterinary and behavior experts conducted forensic exams, and they continue to receive much-needed medical care. When the animals arrived at the ASPCA, many of them had dirty, stained coats due to their living conditions. Many were underweight, dehydrated, and suffering from various medical conditions including dental disease, skin and eye infections and giardia, a highly infectious parasitic infection. The animals will continue receiving ongoing care while the investigation continues.

Photo courtesy of the ASPCA

“Once authorities observed the conditions these dogs and cats were living in, it was clear they were not receiving adequate care, and we were able to work together to quickly bring these animals to safety,” ASPCA President and CEO Matt Bershadker said. “This care illustrates the lifesaving impact of the ASPCA’s decade-long partnership with the NYPD. When officers discover vulnerable animals in the course of their routine police work, they are equipped to take immediate action to get these animals the help they need.”

Elder was also arraigned on a second criminal complaint charging him with burglary and petit larceny in connection with a break-in at a Rosedale smoke shop on the morning of Saturday, Feb. 3. that led to the court-authorized search of his Edgemere home

According to video surveillance footage recorded at approximately 4:15 a.m., Elder and two other men got out of a vehicle parked in front of the Rosedale Exotics smoke shop at 147-26 Brookville Blvd.; a metal grinder is seen passed from one man to another; and sparks were observed flying from the location.

Approximately 12 minutes later, Elder and one of the two men entered the smoke shop and removed cash from the register and merchandise from the shelves and from under a counter. The men left the smoke shop after stuffing the cash and merchandise into bags and returned to the car parked in front of the store, video shows.

Also charged in the smoke shop burglary is Damian Bartley, 19, of Brooklyn. The third suspect remains at large.