Second man arrested for alleged involvement in Ridgewood brawl that left one man in a coma

handcuffs with color web size
File photo/QNS

Police have arrested another individual believed to be involved in an assault on a Ridgewood street in August that left one man in a coma, authorities announced.

Mel Bernard of Norman Street was arrested on Aug. 28 for his alleged role in the fight that took place at the intersection of Norman Street and Seneca Avenue at approximately 6 a.m. on the morning on Aug. 7, according to the criminal complaint provided by Queens District Attorney Richard Brown’s office.

Prosecutors said that Bernard was walking with Orlando Marrero, 24, of Norman Street — who was arrested on Aug. 11 for his alleged involvement in the brawl — and up to three other individuals when they approached the two victims and another unidentified individual, all of whom were carrying sticks.

It is alleged that Bernard and his group took the sticks away from the three individuals and proceeded to beat them with the weapons. They also punched and kicked them about their heads and bodies, cops said.

The complaint noted that one of the unapprehended men in Bernard’s group allegedly took a gold chain off of one of the victims’ necks, while another removed a bracelet from one of the other victim’s wrist.

After the alleged brawl, officers from the 104th Precinct responded to incident. Two of the three attacked individuals were removed to a local hospital with multiple skull fractures; one of them also suffered bleeding to the brain, multiple seizures, and was in a coma.

Bernard has been charged with two counts of second-degree attempted murder, two counts of first-degree gang assault, two counts of first-degree assault, two counts of first-degree robbery, and one count of fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

A judge issued a temporary order of protection against Bernard, and he is being held on $500,000 bond/$500,000 cash. He is due back in court on Sept. 11.