According to police, the bandit mostly targeted women as they were walking home or who had just returned home in Ridgewood, Ozone Park and Brooklyn. All but a handful of the robberies occurred during morning hours, from as early as 2:01 a.m. to as late as 10:15 a.m.
Earlier this week, the NYPD released information about the suspect robbing a 27-year-old woman inside the ATM lobby of the Capital One Bank located at 59-01 Myrtle Ave. in Ridgewood on Jan. 22. He was also linked to the Jan. 24 robbery of a 70-year-old woman at her home in the vicinity of Glenmore Avenue and 76th Street in Ozone Park.
In both episodes, law enforcement sources said, the perpetrator threatened the victims with a knife before stealing their cash and/or jewelry.
On Feb. 1, police announced that the suspect had been tied to 11 other similar capers dating back to Jan. 3. In most instances, he threatened the victims with a knife — and in a few instances, resorted to punching or pushing them to the ground.
The pattern includes the following two capers that occurred in Ozone Park:
- At 8:55 p.m. on Jan. 11, police said, the bandit confronted a 72-year-old woman after she returned home in the area of 75th Street and Pitkin Avenue. He punched the woman in the face, then took her wallet and fled the scene. The woman suffered minor injuries and refused medical attention.
- At 6:25 p.m. on Jan. 29, the crook attacked a 46-year-old woman as she walked home in the area of Glenmore Avenue and 76th Street. He displayed a knife, pushed her to the ground and demanded her property. After obtaining her phone, jacket and purse, he fled the scene. The victim suffered minor injuries.
Seven additional incidents occurred in Brooklyn, including the following:
- the Jan. 3 robbery of a 48-year-old woman in the area of Logan Street and Glenmore Avenue;
- the Jan. 17 robbery of a 23-year-old woman in the area of Atlantic and Ralph avenues;
- the Jan. 23 robbery of a 73-year-old man in the area of East 32nd Street and Avenue H;
- the Jan. 25 robbery of a 34-year-old woman in the area of Pitkin and Drew avenues;
- the Jan. 28 robbery of a 24-year-old woman in the area of Madison Street and Evergreen Avenue in Bushwick;
- the Jan. 28 robbery of a 45-year-old woman in the area of Cooper Street and Evergreen Avenue in Bushwick;
- the Jan. 28 robbery of a 23-year-old woman in the area of Liberty and Grant avenues;
- the Jan. 28 robbery of a 52-year-old man in the area of Glenmore Avenue and Cleveland Street; and
- the Jan. 30 robbery of a 37-year-old woman in the area of Gates and Central avenues in Bushwick.
Police described the suspect as a black man in his 20s standing 5 foot 7 inches tall. He was seen wearing a black hooded jacket, blue jeans and red sneakers while carrying a backpack.
The NYPD released on Thursday these additional images and a video of the robber.
Anyone with information regarding his whereabouts can call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (for Spanish, dial 888-57-PISTA), visit their website or send a text message to 274637 (CRIMES), then enter TIP577. All calls and messages are kept confidential.