By The Times/Ledger
Named after a street that has since been renamed Northern Blvd. The “Jackson” in question was an early builder of the area, John C. Jackson. The area quickly built up after the turn of the century and in 1922 double-decker buses began offering service from 82nd St. to 5th Ave. in Manhattan. With the opening of the subway to Roosevelt Ave. in 1933 the population increased rapidly. Today immigrants come from many countries and the neighborhood is also the home of the largest Argentinean community in New York City. Jackson Heights is a well-maintained neighborhood with apartment buildings and expensive one-family houses. Indian, Peruvian, Bolivian, Argentinean, Colombian and Chilean restaurants are located within a 10-block radius of the Roosevelt Ave. subway stop at 74th Street.
You will also find Indian sari shops and produce markets where one may obtain the exotic vegetables and fruits that are crucial components of Indian and South American cuisine. At the same time, tourists to Jackson Heights can relive its golden era by visiting the most opulent architectural landmark of them all, The Towers, 34th Ave. between 80th & 81st Sts., designed by Andrew J. Thomas in 1924. The Village is home to the Jackson Heights Art Club, 454-0813, offering many activities such as art classes and weekend shows, housed in St. Marks Church, 33-50 82nd St., which also features an extensive music program for the neighborhood and beyond. The Jackson Heights Beautification Group, P.O. Box 720253, 11372-0253, has a number of activities which are open to the public. Also serving the area is the Jackson Heights Community Development Corporation, 458-3600, and LACE (Local Arts Collaborative and Exchange of the Jackson Heights Community Development Corporation), 458-3600.
More info: Community Board 3, 458-2707; 82nd St. BID, 335-9421.