No bail for Middle Village DWI driver

“I’m okay now, but I know at some point I’ll be a total wreck,” said Brendan Ogle, as he made plans to bury his 16-year-old son Robert - killed, along with 20-year-old Alex Paul, in a hit-and-run crash on February 1 in Middle Village.
The driver of the car, Kenneth Guyear, 27, was drunk at the time of the incident, according to police.
Guyear has been charged with first-degree assault, first-degree vehicular manslaughter, second-degree manslaughter, third-degree grand larceny, third-degree criminal possession of stolen property, criminally negligent homicide, fourth-degree grand larceny, leaving the scene without reporting a felony, and operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
He is alleged to have stolen an idling Kia sedan from in front of a deli on Woodhaven Boulevard before mowing down the two at Elliott Avenue and 80th Street as they left a party.
Reports claim that neighbors saw Guyear - who reportedly has been incarcerated eight times - trying to dislodge one of the victim’s bodies from underneath the car before heading back to the deli.
He was arrested at Dry Harbor Road and Woodhaven Boulevard.
At the time of his arrest, Guyear allegedly told law enforcement personnel that the car was his friend’s; he denied having had an accident, but did admit to having “three glasses of alcohol.”
He later said, “I’ve been to Rikers a thousand times. I’m homeless. I live on the street. I have a license but it is revoked. I had three glasses of vodka. I do three bags of cocaine per day and I smoke pot.”
According to District Attorney Richard A. Brown, Guyear’s statements then changed to “I was drinking and got into a fight with my father and I stole the car. I drove and saw people. I slowed down and didn’t see them again. I had five or six vodka drinks and took two Xanax pills. I stole the car that was parked on the street. I drove the car and saw the pedestrians but I did not think I hit anybody. I kept driving and then stopped the car and looked for blood on the car. I kept driving and the police stopped me.”
On Monday, February 2, Guyear was arraigned before Queens Criminal Court Judge Joseph Zayas, who ordered him held without bail and to return to court on February 17.
He faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted.
Guyear was also arraigned on a second criminal complaint charging him with third-degree criminal mischief, making graffiti and possession of graffiti instruments. Zayas set bail in that case in the amount of $3,500 and a return date of February 17.
Finally, Zayas set bail at $15,000 for a Brooklyn felony DWI case in which an arrest warrant had been issued for Guyear.
“The detectives came to my door,” said a grieving Ogle, whose son was pronounced dead on the scene. “It’s awful.”
Paul was taken to Elmhurst Hospital, where he later died.
Ogle, a junior at Brooklyn Tech and football player, will be waked at the Leo F. Kearns Funeral Home; burial will be at St. John’s Cemetery, said his father.

More from Around New York