St. Andrew Avellino Parish in Flushing is preparing to celebrate its centennial year, and to mark the occasion, church officials installed a large banner on the church tower on Northern Blvd at 158th Street.
Dedicated in 1940, the church replaced the original wooden structure, which was built in 1916. In 2009, Rev. Joseph Holcomb became the sixth pastor of the parish, which includes 3,000 worshippers and a school that opened in 1925. St. Andrew’s centennial year – 2014 – will include several events over the coming months and conclude next June.