Queens native identified as alleged D.C. Navy Yard gunman

Photo courtesy of FBI

Updated Tuesday, September 17

Federal agents are still investigating why a Queens native went on a shooting rampage, killing a dozen people at a Washington, D.C. Navy Yard on Monday.

The FBI identified Aaron Alexis, 34, formerly of Flushing, as the gunman in the mass shooting, which began at about 8:20 a.m. at the Washington Navy House, officials said.

At least 13 people are confirmed dead, including Alexis, and at least 14 have been injured, authorities said.

“My heart, like that of our entire administration and others goes out to the families of those who have been victimized,” said District of Columbia Mayor Vincent Gray.

Alexis entered Building 197 at the Navy Yard with a shotgun, FBI officials said, using a legitimate pass as a result of his work as a Navy civilian contractor. He then gained access to a handgun inside the facility after he began shooting.

Alexis fired on workers in the cafeteria and hallways before he was neutralized, according to reports. Cops have ruled out additional gunmen and said that Alexis was acting alone. Officials are still investigating his motives in the shootings.

“Our Evidence Response Teams remain at the Navy Yard and continue to process the scenes,” said Valerie Parlave, FBI Washington assistant director in charge. “This is a methodical and time-intensive process that includes bullet trajectory analysis and crime scene mapping.”

The FBI is also busy talking to people who have connections with Alexis and going to places around the country where he has been, which include Seattle and Fort Worth, Texas and Brooklyn, where his family lives.

He most recently started staying in a Residence Inn in the southwest region of Washington, D.C. , according to the FBI.

Alexis has been arrested twice in connection with gun charges, once in 2004 and another time in 2010, but was not prosecuted either time, according to reports. He worked for the Navy as a civilian contractor from IT company The Experts and was in the Navy reserves from 2007 to 2011, the Navy confirmed.

Following the shooting the NYPD vamped up security around the city to “sensitive locations,” police officials said. Some critical response vehicles were sent to recruiting stations while the Police Department monitored the situation in D.C.

Anyone with information is being asked to call 1-800-CALL-FBI.



More from Around New York