The District Council #9 Joint Apprenticeship and Training Fund will conduct a recruitment beginning tomorrow, Friday, Jan. 10, through Thursday, Jan. 23, for 50 painter and decorator (structural steel-bridges) apprentices, State Labor Commissioner Peter M. Rivera announced.
Applications must be obtained in person only from the District Council #9 JAATF office, located at 45-15 36th St. in Long Island City, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
The sponsor will be distributing 500 applications beginning Friday and continuing for a period of 10 business days or until all applications have been exhausted, whichever comes first.
The committee requires that applicants must be at least 18 years old; have a high school diploma or a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) (proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture); and be physically able to perform the work required, as determined by a self-evaluation and by a physical examination at the expense of the sponsor.
Additionally, each candidate must sign an affidavit stating that he/she is physically able to perform the work of a painter and decorator (structural steel-bridges), which includes:
– painting all types of structural steel, including, but not limited to, bridges, water tanks, overpasses, elevated trains, towers, and stadiums;
– abrasive blasting, power tool cleaning, and other preparation of structures as well as containment;
– painting with a spray, brush or roller;
– lifting and moving heavy equipment and paint weighing up to 70 pounds;
– working from ladders, scaffolds, platforms and personnel lifts, which may exceed 125 feet in height; and
– working with a respirator and other personal protective equipment, as required.
Furthermore, each candidate must attend a three-day orientation; be able to travel throughout the five boroughs to reach job sites; have a driver’s license (work may not be accessible by public transportation); be able to read, hear and understand instructions and warnings in English; and provide military transfer card or discharge form DD-214, if applicable.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or District Council #9 at 1-718-937-7440.