B’wick Man Pinched For R’wood Killings
Months after two people were gunned down in their Ridgewood apartment, police picked up a Bushwick man believed to be their killer last Friday, Aug. 29, it was reported.
Police said Stanny Vargas, 24, of Covert Street worked with an unidentified, unapprehended suspect to kill Jose Ramon Moscoso Polanco, 22, and Natalie Mejia-Taveras, during an apparent robbery gone bad on Summerfield Street during the night of Mar. 27.
Law enforcement sources said the bloodshed occurred sometime before 6:30 p.m. on Mar. 27 inside an apartment house on Summerfield Street near Seneca Avenue.
According to information provided by the Queens District Attorney’s office, Vargas and an unidentified suspect entered the location intending to rob Polanco.
As the events unfolded, police said, Vargas allegedly shot Mejia- Taveras, identified as Polanco’s girlfriend in the head and torso. Polanco was also shot in the head.
Reportedly, Vargas and his unidentified accomplice removed a cash box and a bag from the location, then fled to a nearby vehicle, operated by a second, unidentified perpetrator.
Police said the robbers split the contents of the cash box amongst themselves; in statements made to police, Vargas allegedly admitted that he received $200 in cash.
Following the deadly robbery, authorities noted, Vargas allegedly removed the getaway car’s license plates and left them in a Dumpster.
Officers from the 104th Precinct responded to the Summerfield Street apartment after receiving a 911 call about gunfire coming from inside the location.
Upon arrival, they found Polanco and Mejia-Taveras, both of whom were pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.
Based on information obtained during their investigation, members of the NYPD Queens Homicide Squad located Vargas last week and arrested him last Friday morning following questioning.
Vargas faces counts of second-degree murder, firstdegree robbery, criminal possession of a weapon and tampering with physical evidence.
During arraignment in Queens Criminal Court last Friday, according to records, Judge Ernest Hart ordered Vargas held without bail and to return to court on Sept. 11. If convicted, the suspect faces 25 years to life in prison.
The investigation is ongoing.
Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of the other suspects that could prove helpful should call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS; all calls will be kept confidential.