Quantcast

He’s Indicted for Tot Slay

Faces Life Behind Bars For B’wick Murder

The Bushwick man accused of fatally beating his toddler last month over a bathroom accident was formally indicted last Friday, Nov. 7, and faces a life sentence if convicted, the Brooklyn district attorney announced.

Kelsey Smith, 20, of Cooper Street, was arraigned on Friday for the alleged fatal beating of death of his stepdaughter Jeida Torres–including second-degree murder–according to Brooklyn District Attorney Kenneth Thompson.

Smith allegedly beat his fiveyear old stepson Andrew during the same incident as well, the Thompson noted. He was living in a Bushwick homeless shelter on Cooper Street when the alleged fatal beating occurred, according to a statement.

According to the investigation, near 4 p.m. on Oct. 18, the defendant called his wife–the mother of both children–telling her that he “messed up,” had allegedly hit Jeida and that she was not breathing, Thompson said. His wife then called police who went to the shelter and found Jeida unresponsive, Brown stated.

After police found her unconscious, Jeida was taken to Wyckoff Heights Medical Center and pronounced dead, according to the investigation.

“This defendant was a father figure to these two helpless children and instead of protecting and caring for them he allegedly used his fists to beat to death an innocent little girl,” Thompson said. “Her 5-yearold brother was also attacked. Now the defendant will be held accountable for these cowardly acts.”

As previously reported in the Times Newsweekly, when police arrived at the home, her brother answered the door.

Smith allegedly became enraged at the girl over a soiled garment and stuck the dirty article in her face before assaulting her, police stated.

Smith was arraigned before Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Neil Firetog on two counts of second-degree murder; first-degree manslaughter; second- and thirddegree assault; and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, Thompson stated. He faces life behind bars if convicted on the charges, it was noted.

He was ordered held without bail, and to return for his next court date on Feb. 6, 2015, Thompson said.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant District Attorneys Bernarda A. Villalona, deputy bureau chief of the District Attorney’s Blue Trial Zone and Roger McCready, first deputy bureau chief of the district Attorney’s Crimes Against Children Bureau, under the supervision of Miss Gregory, Chief of CAC.

More from Around New York