A 24-year-old Rego Park driver has pleaded guilty for killing two pedestrians on their way to work in 2013 after he lost control of his car which he was driving at more than 100 mph, prosecutors said.
Leonid Redko pleaded guilty last week to second-degree manslaughter and faces a term of three to nine years in prison if sentenced later this year on Dec. 9 in Queens Supreme Court.
According to Queens District Attorney Richard Brown, on the morning of Nov. 11, 2013, Redko was driving his 2014 yellow Chevrolet Camaro at more than 100 mph westbound along the Queens Boulevard service road near Broadway in Elmhurst.
He then lost control and hit a phone kiosk and a lamppost before the sports car rotated and jumped the curb, fatally hitting two pedestrians – Man Chit Cheng, 59, and Wang Mu Lin, 41 – who were on their way to work.
“This case is yet another example of how deadly motor vehicles can be and the consequences of climbing behind the wheel of an automobile and engaging in such reckless behavior as speeding,” Brown said. “This was an absolutely senseless tragedy with deadly consequences that could have easily been avoided.”