By Gina Martinez
Several families have been left homeless after a two-alarm fire in Flushing.
According to fire officials, a call came in at 4:40 a.m. Thursday morning for a two-alarm fire at a six-story apartment complex on Sanford Avenue near 157th Street in Murray Hill. The fire began on the fourth floor and extended to the fifth and sixth floors, FDNY said. A total of 10 people were injured and seven were taken to the hospital, officials said.
The fire started from a space heater plugged into a power strip in a fourth-floor apartment, which then spread into the victims’ apartments on the floors above, FDNY said. Smoke detectors were working in both apartments.
The fire was under control by 6 a.m., FDNY said.
The American Red Cross has already helped several families. Seven apartments in the building were damaged in the fire. The Red Cross has helped with emergency housing for four families, while the remaining households had their own relocation spots. Emergency funds for basic necessities like food and clothing have been provided and the affected families are meeting with Red Cross caseworkers for additional assistance.
Reach Gina Martinez by e-mail at gmart